Saturday 16 June 2012

A Sequence of Composition Take 2

Taking the exercise one step further I saw a fairly unique custom built machine on display and moved in using the viewfinder.

sequence2 (1 of 23)

First I went in close but felt it was not showing the machine in the best way...



sequence2 (2 of 23)

Next I started to move around it...

sequence2 (3 of 23)


sequence2 (4 of 23)

sequence2 (5 of 23)

sequence2 (6 of 23)

Moving to the other side gives a better view of the bike and a clearer view of the engine and lines.

sequence2 (7 of 23)


sequence2 (8 of 23)

sequence2 (9 of 23)

The issue then was how to frame it...

sequence2 (10 of 23)

Then what was in the background...

sequence2 (11 of 23)

sequence2 (12 of 23)

There was too much activity so I decided to start looking for a unique feature on the bike.

sequence2 (13 of 23)

sequence2 (14 of 23)

sequence2 (15 of 23)

That wasn't working for me so I moved back and decided to try and place it within it's environment...again...

sequence2 (16 of 23)

I then saw another BSA so thought I would try and get the two together in the same shot, hopefully with the standard restored one moving...

sequence2 (17 of 23)

sequence2 (18 of 23)

This didn't work as I wasn't quick enough to capture the second BSA at a compositionally satisfying point in the frame.I went back to finding something to identify such a unique bike...

sequence2 (19 of 23)

sequence2 (20 of 23)

sequence2 (21 of 23)

sequence2 (22 of 23)

And then I saw it - unexpected, understated and unique to this bike.

sequence2 (23 of 23)

Okay this last image is not quite as shot but was found by following the process. I find it difficult to completely depend on this as the 98% usable view in the viewfinder is good but does allow some unwanted edge detail in... so a bit of artistic licence is always inevitable.

Using the viewfinder to compose is a great tool though as you do start to "see" before you shoot in many situations, particularly in Street Photography it helps you anticipate the "moment" .

No comments:

Post a Comment